Monday, October 16, 2017

Some Book Serendipity at GFO Seminar

Saturday I attended the seminar in Milwaukie, Oregon at the Milwaukie Center, with CeCe Moore as the speaker, put on by the Genealogical Forum of Oregon. It was a fantastic program on DNA research. The speaker was so motivating in encouraging me in wanting to do more of this type of testing and discovering more about my ancestors. We had a wonderful lunch and enjoyed visiting with so many friends. Then I bought way too many books, but I am prepared for reading when I take breaks from working on the DNA results. Thank you to my friend Tricia Oberndorf from St. Helens for driving and helping me cart the books home.




Monday, the books I bought on Saturday are finally unpacked, entered into my excel book list, with only seven duplicates. One I even bought two of from the same vendor. I know where those seven will go. For only $2 a book from GFO and 1/2 price from OGS I got some great deals. There are 25 from GFO and 10 from OGS, with total cost of $70.50. I only bought one new book for $40 from the book vendor. My favorite find is a copy of "The Coming of the Mormons" by Jay Kjelgaard. What a great little book written for youth. If you don't have a copy there are some for sale online that cost just a little more than what I paid. The drawings in the book are by Stephen J. Voorhies and are pen and ink. Many books I will read and pass on, but this one stays with my collection with other books that he wrote.

List of Books bought 14 October 2017
GFO all $2
Adventurer's of Oregon by Constance Lindsay Skinner, 1921
Columbia Co. Historical Soc. Booklets Index Vol. 1-21
Deep Ancestry Genographic Project by Spencer Wells
Evangeline by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, no date, but very old
Family Diseases are You at Risk? by Myra Vanderpool Gormley
Genealogical Resources in English Repositories by Joy Wade Moulton (Duplicate)
Graduel Romain at Quebec, in French 1854 (very old and fragile)
Guide Map of Quebec by Carrel, 1952
Guide to Public Vital Statistics Records in Oregon by OHS, original 1942
History of the Westward Movement by Frederick Merk
House Histories by Sally Light
How to Do Everything with your Genealogy by George G. Morgan (Duplicate)
How to Locate Anyone Who is or Has Been in the Military by Lt. Col. Richard S. Johnson
Hymns of the Christian Life, First Congregational Church of Salem, Oregon, 1925
Marshfield Mass. Vital Records to 1850 by Robert M. Sherman (Duplicate, 1st book $42)
Oregon Historical Quarterly Index Vol. 82-101, 1981-2000 compiled by Brownell and Platt
Research in Oregon! by Connie Lenzen
Saxons, Vikings, and Celts by Bryan Sykes
The Bridge of the God's by F. H. Balch, 1902
The Columbia America's Great Highway by Samuel Lancaster
The Conquests of England by Eric Linklater
The Genealogists Encyclopedia by L. G. Pine
The Old Ship Meeting House of Hingham, Massachusetts by Gladys Stark, 1951
The Sleuth Book for Genealogists by Emily Anne Croom
Tracing Your Civil War Ancestor by Bertram Hawthorne Groene (Duplicate)
Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey by Lillian Schlissel
Your English Ancestry A Guide for North Americans by Sherry Irvine

OGS
Census Records, State, Local, Federal, Mortality, Territorial by Ruby Lacy $1
Connecticut Sources for Family HIstorians and Genealogists by Kip Sperry $1
Genealogical Handbook for NE Research by Marcia Wiswall Lindberg $1.50 (I have been looking for this)
Genealogical Resources of the Minnesota Historical Society by MHS $1.50
Heraldry, Ancestry and Titles by L. G. Pine $1 (Duplicate)
Index to American Genealogies by Munsell $7.50
The Coming of the Mormons $1.50
Unpuzzling Your Past by Emily Anne Croom $1, $2.50 (Duplicate)
Women's Diaries $2

Yes, I will scrounge for books. Give me a box or boxes and I will fill them up. GFO sells used books on their website, but surely not at this price! These were some wonderful finds. Serendipity in the books. Up to 730 books in my genealogy collection. Still have five boxes of family books in boxes, but one of my main goals is to get them on shelves. Another main goal is to spend more time reading and then sharing the books.


No comments:

Post a Comment