Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pro Bono Work and Volunteer Service

Today there was a survey request on the APG Members List about Pro Bono work and other volunteer service provided by the members. The following is my response. 

My volunteer work provides me with experience and a great sense of satisfaction. It is important to pace yourself when doing pro bono work and other volunteer service. This is some of the my volunteer work:





Volunteer weekly at the FHC for four hours, for about fifteen years

Indexing Administrator for 1940 Census and doing indexing

Worked for FGS volunteer recognition program for five years

Work as editor, writer and proofreader for the quarterly for local Genealogical Society for three years

Write book reviews for various publications

Work as proofreader for bi-monthly newsletter for local Genealogical Society

Teach at the local PAPAFUG meetings several times a year

Teach at family history center fairs as requested

Teach for Interest groups at local Genealogical Society

Work as Vendor and Door Prize Coordinator for our state wide bi-annual conference for five years

Serve on the local public library board for three years

Do pro bono work on a limited basis, mostly helping others begin research or break through brick walls

Take on projects that interest me for compelling family situations, with permission to use the material in my teaching.


I do not take on many administrative positions, as I prefer working in my specific areas of interest. My professional work entails family research, records retrieval, speaking for genealogy groups and conferences, and teaching local community school classes. Again, pacing ourselves to best utilize our time is critical.

What types of volunteer work do you do in the field of genealogy?

Which types of work do you enjoy doing the most?

Where do you gain the most personal experience in donating your time and energy?

Who do you provide service to?

When and where do you like to work?

How much time do you have to donate?

So many questions, yet they highly influence our contributions to the genealogy community.


1 comment:

  1. Hi

    My volunteer work provides me with experience and a great sense of satisfaction. It is important to pace yourself when doing pro bono work and other volunteer service. This is some of the my volunteer work:



    voluntary work

    ReplyDelete