Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Teaching Genealogy Classes

Teaching genealogy classes is always a bit challenging. While I enjoy putting together presentations, they require a lot of time and energy. PowerPoint makes it easier, but I always bring a back up print out of the slides in case there is a complication with the equipment. I so appreciate the wonderful participants who are very supportive and understanding of any glitches that arise. My worst experiences were when the computer shut down as the power cord was never plugged in and the battery was drained. Depending on the computer and place in the presentation, you either continue on or just finish the class without the visuals.



This year I have taught twenty-five classes at fifteen different events. There are two more classes scheduled, on two different days. This is the largest number of classes that I have taught in the nine years I have been teaching. In the previous eight years combined I taught fifty-eight classes. So, by the end of the year my total will be eighty-five classes. I have taught for churches, colleges, genealogical societies and a local telephone company. Gratefully I did not have any classes to teach for a month after I broke my arm. Since then I have taught nine classes and it has been a bit more challenging.

Two days ago we had our local Family History Fair and I taught two classes. There was good attendance in all of the nineteen classes offered. They included:
Using Books Online and Canadian Research by Cindy Webb
Roots Magic: An Overview and Doing On-Site Research: Going There Walking Their Ground by Leslie Lawson
Beginning Genealogy by Valerie Schomburg
Spreadsheets for Genealogy: Chronologies, Research Logs, and Making Sense of your Research and Shrewd Internet Strategies by Peggy Baldwin
Family Skeletons by John Rudnick
Basic Digital Capturing and Archiving of Photos and Documents - Part I and
Beyond the Basics of Digital Capturing and Archiving - Part II by Scott G. Edwards
Researching in FamilySearch and Religious Affiliations and Their Records by Susan LeBlanc
Wagons West and Your Research Trip to the Oregon State Archives & Oregon Library by Joanne Haugen
Old Newspapers - Many of Them Are Getting a New Life and Irish Research by Tom O'Brien
Finding the Immigrant: Where are Those Elusive Records? and Google It!
by Barbara Hovorka
Virginia Migration Routes: Where, When, and Why by Judi Scott

The great thing about teaching at these events is I have developed some wonderful friendships over the years. We share a great love for sharing the passion of our lives, which is genealogical research. All of the above presenters are very professional and dedicated to the promotion of doing family history work. It is especially nice when a lunch is provided at the event for the speakers, as it allows us a break to relax and visit with people we don't see very often.

At these events they usually have displays, refreshments, other society representatives, and plenty of assistants to make the day go smoothly. For this event my son Michael was the website designer and manager, and the tech support for the day. The people who provide this service, often for free, are the backbone of the events. They have come to my rescue many times. Other people prepare food, set up the rooms, and clean up when the events are over. To these people we owe a debt of gratitude, for they do this repeatedly in support of the events being hosted. As with any type of event there will always be some snags along the way, so please be patient. You might even consider volunteering some time to demonstrate your appreciation for these wonderful opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment