Monday, September 18, 2017
The Watts House Collections - Old Ledger Books Downstairs
This was the first set of ledger books. A transcription was made of the first book due to the fragile nature of the book. It is done as close as possible to the original, but many pages are very hard to read. With the digitized copy and more time to verify some of the text a more complete and accurate transcription may be made. The second book for the Watts/Price store is easier to read and so only a list of names included was created. The pages of the book are for various families who had accounts with the store, with extensive lists of the items being purchased. The last four books were used to create lists of people who lived in the area and paid water payments and other types of transactions with the city of Scappoose.
1. Scappoose, Oregon Historical Sketches, Good History, 25 names: Book No 1, Pioneers,
1824 – 1850; J. G. Watts, 1940; Lists of Names for 1830, 1840, 1850; Earliest Settlers 1845; Scappoose Sunday School - Ralph Watts Supt. 83 years old; J. G. Watts - City of Scappoose, 1852. Scanned by Columbia County Historical Museum 2017.
2. Watts/Price Store 1889/1890, Singed ledger book, lists of sales to Individuals. Scanned by Columbia County Historical Museum 2017.
3. Cash Book, Ledger of Water Payments and other City of Scappoose Financial Records,
January 1, 1941 to June 30, 1942, 131 pages.
4. Journal, Ledger of Water Payments and other City of Scappoose Financial Records July 1942 to June 1944, 201 pages. Expenses on Library 2nd Quarter 1944 Library $15.00.
5. S. E. Ledger, Water Payments and other City of Scappoose Financial Records
January 1945 to February 1946, 138 pages
6. Journal, Records for 1948-1949, Scappoose City Taxes for Commercial Accounts, 142 pages.