Thursday, December 17, 2020

CURE Cancer Guide and Magazine

 Two years ago I was at home recovering from a hysterectomy and the removal of cancer from my body. My family and several close friends rallied around me. Once my doctor called and informed me that the results were that the cancer was positive and yet no further treatment would be necessary I felt a huge relief. Then for a year and a half I went in regularly for a check-up and continued on my path with her confirmation and support. This last September I advanced even further in not having to return for a year. 


Tonight I finished reading one of the most outstanding periodicals in support of cancer diagnosis, procedures, new protocols, recovery, treatments, etc. and free to cancer patients. One of my dear friends shared a copy of the annual Cure Cancer Guide, but it took me a while to be ready to read it. When I finally picked it up it provided me with a wealth of knowledge about cancer. No matter what you think you know about cancer you will never really know until you walk the cancer path in your own life. Even being a care giver, as difficult as it may be, struggles with understanding the immense emotion and stress that comes with such a diagnosis. That initial diagnosis leaves many scary doors to be opened by the patient and the unexpected may come again. 

The Cure magazine for Fall 2020 is the most recent quarterly to come in the mail. I often wait until there is a peaceful moment in which I can open my mind to the outstanding information that it contains. With the complications of 2020 I was able to read each magazine after getting caught up on others that had piled up. The current issue came at the right time for me in facing the health challenges that are before me. It contains cancer updates, research and education. There are sections that cover current news, and articles on six types of cancer. The article, Can a Blood Test Detect Cancer?, is amazing. There are over 100 types of cancer that a simple blood test can screen for. Early diagnosis and advancing protocols are key to conquering cancer. 

Knowledge is power in the cancer fight. My diagnosis was early because I took my concern about a medical issue to my doctor. During the past year I continued to struggle in recovery. Communicating with my doctors has been a great support. Understanding symptoms in the Covid-19 environment meant additional challenges. I am grateful to have telephone appointments with the fourteen medical professionals that oversee my progress. They are patient, kind, thoughtful and willing to work with me on this journey. There are others whose journeys have been different from mine and each of us who face this fight will have special needs. One key thing that we can do is to reach out to others who are beginning this journey and assure them that they are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment