Thursday, December 17, 2020

The Missionary Journal of Susan Elaine Olsen Part 2

 I finished reading the 200 page journal with an additional 44 pages of notes from conferences and meetings, and my autograph album. What a joy to reflect back on so many wonderful people. How I survived two months in the LTM, sixteen months in Guatemala, the earthquake and aftershocks, sleeping in the streets, amoebas, gamboo, gripe, monthly shots for whatever was required, etc. is a puzzle to me. We had two mission presidents and I am not sure how they survived me. Our first President Arnold was so amazing. It felt like he truly understood me. The second President O'Donnell was more business oriented. It was hard serving under two very different people. 


My companions were very patient with me. They were willing to teach me, learn with me and to help in sharing the Gospel with the people that we worked with. We were privileged to take part with many people who were baptized and grew as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The Elders or young men that we worked with kept life very interesting for us. With at least a two year age difference between us it was at times hard to take their directions. Some of them took us along on excursions and I was able to see much of the country. The senior missionaries who served as couples surely added to our experiences. It is an opportunity to be treasured the rest of my life. 

The people who affected my life the most were the people (not members of the church) that shared their homes with us. Martha with whom I lived the longest was like a mother to me. We wrote some after I got home, but time went on and letters grew fewer. Ledy and her family one day showed up on my doorstep in Provo, Utah. They had come to the United States to be sealed for eternity as a family. Within a couple of years her husband was assassinated and Ledy died of a brain tumor. They left three children to be cared for by their grandmother. 

For now I plan to type the journal to share parts of it with others and I can refer back to it as needed. I will scan it for my children so they can each have a copy. Parts I will just keep for me. There is a great deal of wisdom in the words that are there. I was very young and immature at the time. The words mean even more to me today. We were dedicated in our testimonies of the Lord, Jesus Christ. That is why I believe the young are sent on missions. No matter how challenging the work became, we pressed forward in the work we were sent forth to do. The growth of the church in Guatemala rolls forward with the building of more Temples. They no longer have to make the long journey to the United States to have these tremendous blessings in their lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment